Thanks to a robust multi-stakeholder approach that is exemplified by the traditional "sanpo-yoshi" philosophy, Japanese businesses enjoy strong levels of trust in Japan, with 80% of stakeholders saying they trust businesses to provide solutions to the major challenges facing the world*.
That’s in stark contrast with the situation outside Japan, where in some markets such as the US, less than 50% of people trust businesses to address those same challenges.
There is therefore a need for Japanese companies to be aware of this difference and make a conscious effort to communicate more explicitly, including leveraging their leadership’s social and digital presence when they go outside of their home market.
80% vs 44%
80% of stakeholders in Japan say they trust businesses to provide solutions to the major challenges facing the world. That number is much lower outside Japan, for example in the US, where it is only 44%.
9 out of 10
9 out of 10 financial readers cite the importance of social media communications by CEOs when their company is facing a crisis.
49% of investors use digital platforms to learn what specific CEOs are saying.
- LinkedIn is the top platform for CEOs in Japan where 11% maintain a profile. However, the most active CEOs leverage Twitter most often.
- More than 28% of Japan used Twitter in 2019**, followed by Facebook at 15% and Instagram at 14%
- Potential employees use social media to research the leadership of future employers and by more than a 2 to 1 ratio say they would prefer to work for a CEO that uses digital and social media as opposed to one that does not.
- For existing employees, direct and transparent leadership ranks third among retention factors, only behind pay and benefits.
What the top Connected Leaders do right globally
The Top 50 Connected Leaders understand the importance of visual content, with a majority using photos and videos in their posts in the last year.
Leaders who are connected and respected share another characteristic – they’re themselves. Authenticity is a key factor in meaningful digital communications.
Commit to consistency
The Top 50 Connected Leaders post more frequently than other active CEOs. These leaders post twice as much content as their peers, while maintaining a high level of quality in their content.
Learn more about Connected Leadership and how Brunswick can help by contacting [email protected]
* Brunswick The Five G’s That Define the World, 2017
** Synthesio, 2019